Day (-2)
7/17/2024
We are going to need to rely on each other for the next two weeks, so I don’t have much of a choice but to begin by contemplating the nature of our relationship: we are neighbor-lovers, and over the next two weeks, he will be my closest neighbor and the one who I, as a result, love the most, which is how loving your neighbors works. I must trust him to keep up with me, but I don’t even know his name yet!
“Okay,” I told him, “we need to start by getting some maps.”
“Is that really necessary?”
And he was right: it wasn’t necessary. The decision to begin with maps was arbitrary. “Every decision is arbitrary,” I told him.
“So that’s the kind of person you are,” he sighed..
And, just like that, our difficulties began, so I walked away.
While I was away, I talked to my current CNs (Closest Neighbors) Ma and Pa. Ma was setting up my E-ZPass, and Pa was watching t.v., probably Fox News.
“Could you look and see what roadmaps you have from AAA when you’re done with that?” I asked Ma.
Then I sat down on the couch near Pa’s recliner and asked him, “What do you know about T.C.?” (That was—I discovered as I walked away—my future CN’s name.)
Pa described the character to me, and I was really interested in what he was saying, which did not happen all that often. But then, after describing him as a beefy, oafish character who was actually really smart, Pa said, “T.C. has phobias.”
“What phobias?” I asked.
“For example, he’s scared to get on planes,” Pa said.
“That’s B.A. Baracus from The A-team!” I exclaimed. “I’m talking about T.C. from Magnum P.I.”
“He flies a helicopter and is a mechanic.”
“B.A. is a mechanic, too,” I said. “So maybe they’re similar. What’s T.C.’s personality like? Is he a comedic character or a straight character?”
“They’re all comedic characters,” Pa said.
“Does he have any sort of quirks worth noting?”
“He calls people by nicknames.”
“Like what?”
“He calls Higgins Higgy-Poo.”
Just then, Ma walked through the living room to search through the AAA maps she had on the desk in Pa’s bedroom.
“Just make sure they’re relatively recent,” I said.
“We picked some stuff up on our recent trip to Tennessee,” Ma said. She and Pa had used their timeshare to go on vacation down there because their granddaughter Faith had a senior band trip down there.
After accusing him of being a little racist for mixing up B.A. and T.C., I followed Ma back to Pa’s room. The AAA office closed at 6:00 p.m., and it was almost 5:00 p.m. “This is the only one I have.” She handed me a AAA map that said “Southeastern States.”
“I’m looking for maps of PA, West Virginia, Ohio, and Michigan,” I said.
“They’re in there, too,” she said.
On one side, there was a map of southeastern states, but on the other side, the map included all of WV, PA, and OH and the southern portion of Michigan. “This will be enough,” I said.
I walked right up to T.C. with the map, and he said, “I can’t fly like a thunderbird.”
“I’m not expecting you to fly like a thunderbird.”
“Good. I’m glad we got that out of the way.”
I then looked at the dice. “Next, we need to—”
“Wait,” T.C. said. He opened up the map, placed it on the ground, and picked up a marker. He kept the cap on, put it on our current location, and then lifted it straight up (about seven feet in the air). I realized what he was doing. He dropped it, and it landed on Millersburg, PA, which was north of Harrisburg. I checked the distance, and it was within my limitations (no more than 4 hours).
“Yes, that is one way to make decisions,” I said.
“We’re not making decisions; we’re just choosing the means of making decisions, which is definitely not the same thing.”
I wondered how much space there was between the two, but I could understand what he was trying to say.
“You don’t understand anything,” he said, obviously judging my lack of a response as skepticism.
“We’ll talk more about the dice tomorrow,” I told T.C., and that was it.
In the beginning,
there was a map and a marker,
and they were an insult
to a society that demanded decisiveness
like a god demanding fear
as the clearest form of faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment